Hi alls,

new on the list, and not tricky question :D

We use client certs authentication at our office, there is a CA chain
like this :

BigCA (self signed)
IntermediateCA (signed by BigCA)
ServerCert (signed by IntermediateCA) used by Apache/modssl
ClientCA (signed by IntermediateCA)
many clients (signed by ClientCA)

- ClientX have 1 year validity
- ClientCA have 4 years validity, but replaced at half life (2 year)
so ClientX signed by old ClientCA version remain valid until
expiration.
- CRL is signed by recent ClientCA

So, at a time, we have 2 ClientCA with different key and different
validity period, but same DN.

The problem is, when verifying client cert work with both ClientCA
stacked; but when using CRL, old clients work only if CRL is signed by
old ClientCA.

1/ is it rfc compliant, and if not, why (reference ?).
2/ if this is rfc compliant, why does openssl does not handle this ?

Thanks for all help you could provide.