Michael Ströder a écrit :
Beth E. Okun wrote:

We're running Apache with ssl enabled..........We're using Basic authentication, and if the user browses away from our site and then comes back, they are not forced to log on again.......it appears that these settings are being stored somewhere, or that the connection is not being closed..........

How about to read about how Basic Authentication works? Or maybe watch the traffic with http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org? Basically the browser caches username/password once entered for a HTTP authc realm and sends it in the header of every HTTP request. That's the problem with HTTP basic authc.
This Apache related, not modssl related.

Whereas, there are technical ways to reproduce an end of session, using secondary session_id, just like phpmyadmin.