On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:17:45AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This particular module can NOT be tested automatically, without some
> manual configuration.  The tests can not automatically determine the
> configuration of your AFs infrastructure; you have to tell me.
>
> Therefore, everytime I post this module, these tests are going to
> fail.  The same is going to be true for DBD::Sybase, or any of the
> RDBMS modules which need to be configured with a data server, and/or
> database name.
>
> Is there a mechanism for telling the automated CPAN testing to skip
> this module?  I do NOT want to hack the code to make the test skipped
> by default, because then unsuspecting administrators who install the
> module without reading my documentation will be give a false positive.

You may be interested in how the DBD::Pg test suite works. As you point
out, it does need a bit configuration for the tests to run. (In this
case, setting a single environment variable usually works).
If the environment variable isn't present the tests are skipped.

Recently some of the configuration has been automated by using
"App::Info". The specific module used in this case is here:
http://search.cpan.org/~dwheeler/App-Info-0.24/lib/App/Info/RDBMS/PostgreSQL.pm

Perhaps a helper module like this could simplify the needed
configuration in your case as well.

        Mark