A. Pagaltzis wrote:

* Jim Cromie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2003-11-14 17:43]:

Its not 'particular' to C, except in reduce(), the last step,
which acts on the detected redundancies. As I outlined, a Perl
version could move chunks into strings, then eval that in the
many places its needed.

Then maybe it should be split into two modules, one making use of
the other.

Heh - that creates 2 naming problems :-O Joking aside, that might solve the
problem of not fitting well in either domain - I just have to ponder that split,
and what names make sense for the 2 halves.

Me:

And because 'shred' is open-source, and part of the Linux vs
SCO drama, it serves as something of a touchstone - By
understanding the algorithm, you know its
advantages/disadvantages; fast but naive compared to parsing to
an ASN.

Good point. Algorithm::Shred?

Hmm - that might solve other problems, such as - What is a File::Shred ?
the wad of shreddings ? or the shredder that made them ?!

I'll look at some of the other Algorithm::* stuff to if the object models there have
a workable similarity.

FWIW - In File_Shred::*, I have File_Shred::Shreddings, File_Shred::Chunk,
File_Shred::Ribbon, and File_Shred::Comparison. Im not entirely happy with this
partitioning, but its a start.

Curiously, this shred and knit algorithm has some similarities with Gene Sequencing.
There, they chop up DNA such that the 2 sides of the helix fragments are ragged -
ie loose tails of 1 side of the helix dangle from both ends. Then they put it in a bath
of nucleic acid, and those tails regrow; A-T, C-G. Now the soup has fragments which
overlap with the fragments that were split off at either end. Then they send the fragments
thru the sequencer, and knit the sequences together.

(BTW - this has inaccuracies - IANAB)

Its also applicable to any line-oriented text, not just
programs, hence the File::

Again, Algorithm::Shred sounds more like it.

The C-specific part would then be provided in another module
which would have to be named independently, probably leaving C as
the last part of the name so there is ::C, ::Perl etc.

Yes - Id say it fits, and Schuyler Erle seems to agree.
Now theres the question of the other half - is it warranted, and if so, whats appropriate.

Ill mull on that over the weekend.
thx.