Mark Stosberg wrote:
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:12:25AM +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Khemir Nadim) writes:

why do we have Savanna, Rubyforge and other?

Because people are naturally fractious and would prefer to reinvent the wheel in order to do things Their Way instead of making use of the available resources.

One benefit I see of a extra "forges" like rubyforge is
decentralization. Right now open source has a huge dependency on
SourceForge. If it goes away or becomes unavailable, that's a major loss
to recover from. I'm more comfortable having a number of similar sites
available.

I agree. Too much dependency on SourceForge is not good.

I have one (well, two) projects on sourceforge just because, when I created it, I didn't have anywhere to place it. I prefer to have a local CVS tree on a server nearby. I really do not use nothing more from sourceforge...well.. I use... domain redirection.

If people can't host their projects, source-forge or savanna or similar are good choices. If you have a server, maybe I would use it.

Sorry if this is offtopic... but the old CPAN Rating subject didn't attract my attention :-)

Cheers,
 ambs

--
Alberto Simões

Python's syntax succeeds in combining the mistakes of Lisp and Fortran.
I do not contrue that as progress.
                                         -- Larry Wall