On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 13:22, Martyn J. Pearce wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 07:12:20AM -0500, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm seeking feedback on the best way to rename a CPAN module with an
> > established user base. I was thinking of a process like this:
> >
> > 1. Release the module under the new name.
> >
> > 2. Make another release under the old name, leaving the functionality
> >    intact, but with a clear disclaimer near the top:
>
> An alternative approach is to release the old module as a nullary subclass of
> the new (with a deprecation warning).  Whether this is preferred is, I
> suspect, a case-by-case issue.

I was wondering... either of these approaches leave an unmaintained
module on the CPAN, right?

Does anyone have any idea of how many modules are there in the
condition?

There won't be many, probably, but I was wondering that when we say
"CPAN has now N modules", it actually has x% of N of working modules, y%
of N of unmaintained modules, etc... AFAIK, there is no way of knowing
this percentages, is there? There is no way of tracking the condition of
modules, right?

Couldn't something be suggested? Even if it's just adding something to
the docs, something that later on could be harvested...

jac

--
José Alves de Castro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  http://natura.di.uminho.pt/~jac