On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:21:35 +1300, Sam Vilain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think that this information should be removed from most programs
> altogether.  They should just have to specify a logical data source
> (possibly including a schema version), then a module with a config file
> maps that to a set of connection parameters.

That's what DBI wrappers do, and I have one of those too.  But my DBI
wrapper reads its connection information for each "logical" data source from
a hash.  Then there's a build_dsn() method that assembles the pieces
according to the name of the driver.

If each DBD did that for me, I could just pass a reference to my connection
info hash directly to DBI->connect() and then remove the build_dsn() code
from my wrapper.

-John