Ken Williams wrote:

On Jan 4, 2005, at 6:06 PM, Ovid wrote:

--- Eric Wilhelm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Me too, except for how it reads in the 'use' statement.

use aka 'Really::Long::Module::Name';

Yeah, that bugs me too. Still, aka.pm is the name I lean toward.

I still don't understand the semantics of the above. To what is Really::Long::Module::Name being aliased? The current package?

It any case, it seems that
'alias.pm' might get confused with 'Alias.pm'.

Which is my problem with 'alias.'

I think "aka" doesn't read very well at all. If I expand "use aka 'Foo::Bar'" or "use aka 'Foo::Bar' as 'Baz'" out in my brain, it'll be "use also known as Foo::Bar" or "use also known as 'Foo::Bar' as 'Baz'", which is nonsensical.

It would seem better to use a noun there, perhaps something like "use alias 'Baz' for 'Foo::Bar'", or even just exploit perl's natural pairing syntax: "use alias 'Foo::Bar' => 'Baz'".

ooh yes, just like use constant. Throwing out another idea:

use rename 'Foo::Bar' => 'Baz';

David