Hi Chris,

I think Regexp::Common is nice, but there are several aspects of that
solution I am not too keen on.

1. The solutions are not regular expressions, perhaps the validation could
be implemented as regular expressions, but since they contain calculations
I do not know whether this is possible and if possible a good idea, the
algorithms are written in clean, maintainable code with a test coverage
close to 100%

2. I will be dependent on a different release cycle than one I could
control myself - some of these modules are used in my everyday business
and  therefore I would like to be able to control them to some extent -
CPAN would be used for sharing/distributing the work, the knowledge is
simple to not say trivial. One of the reasons why I raise this issue is
that you seem concerned about the activity level of Regexp::Common and
it's maintenance.
Another reason is that I like the idea of small and specialized
tools/modules.

Anyhow I will have a look at Regexp::Common::SEN to see whether I can
contribute with anything anyway.

jonasbn

> On Feb 9, 2006, at 5:14 AM, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
>
>> Hi Jonas,
>>
>> * Jonas B. Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-02-09 11:35]:
>>> Algorithm seems like the more general one, but since it is not
>>> hard science simply modulus gymnastics and it is not security,
>>> but mere validation and generation.
>>
>> in a sense, everything is an algorithm. :-)  I see Algorithm:: as
>> the place for things whose purpose it is to perform some abstract
>> operation on a specific data structure. This is fuzzy, I know; a
>> more solid definition would be difficult to give, if it is at all
>> possible.
>>
>> Your code is not an algorithm in that abstract sense, though.
>> Business::DK::* sounds perfect to me.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Aristotle Pagaltzis // <http://plasmasturm.org/>
>
>
> I agree with Aristotle's reasoning.  I further suggest you try to
> work your algorithms into existing modules.  For example:
>
> Regexp::Common::SEN - provide regexes for Social-Economical Numbers
>    http://search.cpan.org/~abigail/Regexp-Common-2.120/lib/Regexp/
> Common/SEN.pm
> This currently lacks a Danish entry, so your contribution would be
> extremely valuable
>
> Regexp::Common::zip - provide regexes for postal codes
>    http://search.cpan.org/~abigail/Regexp-Common-2.120/lib/Regexp/
> Common/zip.pm
> Danish postal codes are already present.  Here's the code at present:
>
>      Denmark     =>  "(?k:(?k:[1-9])(?k:[0-9])(?k:[0-9]{2}))",
>                      # Postal codes of the form: 'DDDD', with the first
>                      # digit representing the distribution region, the
>                      # second digit the distribution district. Postal
>                      # codes do not start with a zero. Postal codes
>                      # starting with '39' are in Greenland.
>
> The advantage of adding your code into Regexp::Common is that R::C is
> very popular, and your work would likely benefit more people than if
> you were to create a brand new package.  And perhaps some new energy
> would push Abigail et al. to finally release an updated version which
> could address some of the RT bugs, like getting Javadoc added to
> Regexp::Common::comment
>
> Chris
> --
> Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
> 608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703
> vCard: http://www.chrisdolan.net/ChrisDolan.vcf
>
> Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software
> (http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary
> Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)
>
>
>
>


-- 
Jonas B. Nielsen
Founder of logicLAB
[EMAIL PROTECTED] || http://www.logicLAB.dk/
(+45 26787275)

Reply via email to