Chris Dolan wrote:
Personally, The best solution is to have an official policy for adding non-standard additions. "X-" is bad for reasons that many people have shared. I like the idea of a per-module special prefs area. To insure that collisions are impossible, how about a URI for the prefs wrapper like below (sorry, not sure if this is valid YAML)

  extensions:
    'http://search.cpan.org/dist/CPAN-Reporter/':
       cc_author: 0

That will enable the extension mechanism to work for non-Perl code too. To me, that feels a little like the "-moz-*" CSS extensions that Mozilla and others use.

I endorse this product/service/concept.

That said, the biggest drawback of this whole thing is that it's just one more piece of information that module authors need to think about when writing code. Writing a good CPAN module is already a fairly hefty task. I'm not saying there's an alternative, but really what we need is the module creator's equivalent of Perl Best Practices.

META.yaml is a standardized data interchange format for intersystem communication. It probably shouldn't be being written by hand, but being generated by the configure (Makefile.PL,Build.PL) script.

Special additions to the META.yml for some specific case should thus ideally be implemented via some command in the configuration module.

So in Module::Install for example...

  cc_author 0;

... would cause the above extension code to be inserted.

Adam K