Gabor Szabo wrote:
On 3/18/07, David Golden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You might find this open book helpful:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/osfreesoft/book/

thanks

> 8. Aggregation of this Package with a commercial distribution is always
> permitted provided that the use of this Package is embedded; that is,
> when no overt attempt is made to make this Package's interfaces visible
> to the end user of the commercial distribution.  Such use shall not be
> construed as a distribution of this Package.
>
> What does that mean that "no overt attempt is made to make this
> Package's interfaces visible" ? How can I make sure we are fulfilling
> this requirement?

Quoting from that book:

This Section 8 accordingly limits the generally free distribution of
the source and executable codes under Section 1 and 4 respectively
when that distribution is part of a commercial aggregate with the
Package. In those situations, the Package may be utilized as part of
the commercial program, but its interfaces (and, correspondingly, the
ability to write new scripts in Perl) must be blocked from the end
user. This section is presumably included to prevent commercial
distributions of programs written in Perl from competing with the
parallel open source distributions of Perl that are intended to
encourage innovation and contributions to Perl itself.

That would mean ccperl and all the other vendor supplied perls were
actually violating with this section.

If package a script with PAR including everything even perl itself
then after it is
installed it allows writing scripts on this perl.

If you create a compiled distribution based on perl and a bunch of CPAN
packages and optionally some propriatery packages, is this then in
violation of that section? I personally don't see what's the point behind hiding
this version of perl.

I believe that's where the "overtly" bit might come into it.

If the ordinary users of YOUR program won't be writing Perl applications using what you install, but will just be using the normal user interfaces, it's fine.

If you install your program, but say "And since it installs Perl, you can also use it to write your own Perl programs!" that would be overtly making the interfaces visible.

If all the user ever see's is buttons and widgets, it's just fine.

IANAL however.

Adam K