Looking at mine (ADAMK) which has a relatively large sample of modules to intuit patterns from, I'd say that that Debian modules are created and updated by hand, and there's a relatively large number of volunteers.

But the module versions do slip, and my less popular modules are not packaged.

FreeBSD is auto-packaging everything that passes tests. So ALL my modules are available, almost universally at the current version, except for one that needs a compiler.

As for the rest, well, some are still using incredibly old versions of things.

Adam K