  > Justin,
  > * Justin Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-05-11 10:40]:
 >> Is there an easy way to fix this?

  > I think the right place to ask this would be [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  > rather than here (although one of the admins may happen to see it
  > here as well).

Yupp, here I am, and I'm glad to explain this here to a wider audience.

The most convenient way to resolve all problems that arise from
changing release managers is what we call a group account or
mailinglist account. PERLDL, PARROTRE, BIOPERLML, and APML are such
accounts for PDL, Parrot, bioperl and mod_perl, respectively.

The way this works is really quite primitive:

- one or more release coordinators have access to this account for the
  sake of permission maintainance only; group accounts cannot be used
  for uploading

- whenever a release is due they assign co-maintainer permissions to
  the designated release manager

- release managers make actual releases; they do so in their own name;
  by uploading they gain permissions for uploading some new
  namespaces; after having acquired these rights they pass them on to
  the group account

That's all. It's a one-to-many relation whereas the spamassassin case
is a many-to-many relation.

Please write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and ask for a group account and tell
us who shall have the role of a release coordinator (can be one or
more).

For an illustration, see:

cpan[1]> m Apache::src
Module id = Apache::src
    DESCRIPTION  Finding and reading bits of source
    CPAN_USERID  APML (The Perl/Apache Mailing List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
    CPAN_VERSION 0.01
    CPAN_FILE    G/GO/GOZER/mod_perl-1.30.tar.gz
    UPLOAD_DATE  2007-03-30
    DSLIP_STATUS SmpO? (standard,mailing-list,perl,object-oriented,)
    MANPAGE      Apache::src - Methods for locating and parsing bits of Apache
source code
    INST_FILE    /home/src/perl/repoperls/installed-perls/perl/pVw1Sw4/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/lib/site_perl/5.9.5/i686-linux-64int/Apache/src.pm
    INST_VERSION 0.01

GOZER made the last release. He is co-maintainer of Apache::src. Perfect.

cpan[2]> m Apache::Test
Module id = Apache::Test
    DESCRIPTION  Framework for testing Apache modules
    CPAN_USERID  APML (The Perl/Apache Mailing List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
    CPAN_VERSION 1.29
    CPAN_FILE    P/PG/PGOLLUCCI/Apache-Test-1.29.tar.gz
    UPLOAD_DATE  2006-11-29
    DSLIP_STATUS Smpho (standard,mailing-list,perl,hybrid,open-source)
    MANPAGE      Apache::Test - Test.pm wrapper with helpers for testing Apache
    INST_FILE    /home/src/perl/repoperls/installed-perls/perl/pVw1Sw4/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/lib/site_perl/5.9.5/i686-linux-64int/Apache/Test.pm
    INST_VERSION 1.29

PGOLLUCCI made the last release. He is co-maintainer of Apache::Test. Perfect.

Whenever one of the two acquires exclusive permissions by uploading,
they pass these on to APML. Whenever one wants to make a release, he
ensures that his co-maintainer bits are set for all namespaces he
might need (usually all that are owned by APML).

What seems to work for Apache, should work for others too.

--
andreas