Hi,

I know Perl is all about diversity but I wonder if requiring a uniform
way of providing version numbers of modules on CPAN would be too much
of restriction on the freedom of module authors?

I think it would make life easier for tool authors (PAUSE/CPAN.pm/CPANPLUS etc)
and downstream distro packagers (e.g. Debian and co.)

As far as I can tell there is already an almost universally accepted format of
\d+\.\d\d for released versions and \d+\.\d\d_\d\d for development versions.

Are there any compelling reasons to keep allowing any type of version numbers?

Can the above be officially blessed - or agreed upon - and maybe
enforced on some level?

e.g.  not indexing any module that does not have a version in the given format?

Gabor