On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:09:16PM +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> 1)   META.yml license field is required.
>
> http://module-build.sourceforge.net/META-spec.html#license
> says the license field is  "required" but FAIK when calling
> "make dist" or "./Build dist" both EUMM and MB will happily
> create META.yml files without a license field. If there is an
> agreement on the field being required then I think the tools
> should not create a distribution without a valid license key.
> Obviously they should keep installing modules without a
> license in META.yml.

I think an outright failure for what is ultimately a non-technical
reason, is not a good behaviour. It could warn loudly, but I don't
think it should completely fail to build. That would get annoying in
sitautions when you want to Just Do It.

> 2) The list of valid values should be in
> http://module-build.sourceforge.net/META-spec.html#license
> instead of its current place, which is
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Module-Build/lib/Module/Build/API.pod

Specs are good.

> 3) Software::License http://search.cpan.org/dist/Software-License/
> has a growing list of licenses with full text in it. The list of licenses
> is not the same as the values in META.yml and even in the cases
> where the license seem to be the same their "short name" is not
> identical. IMHO these lists should be unified.
> If we can accept http://www.opensource.org/licenses as the official
> list of open source licenses the short names should be coordinated
> with them.

Unified agreement with the wider community is good.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/