Quoth [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shlomi Fish):
> On Thursday 30 October 2008, David Cantrell wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:13:24PM -0500, Ken Williams wrote:
> > >
> > > Your proposal doesn't seem to address the second point in any way.
> >
> > That's the bit where I suggest instead of saying, eg, "frobnitz" to mean
> > "the Frobnitz licence" you say "frobnitz" to mean "the licence whose text
> > is in the 'frobnitz' file".  That would allow the author to use any licence
> > he wants.
>
> This seems like the road to chaos. Imagine I put "mit" there and mit.txt
> contains the text of the GPLv3. I think we should have unique identifiers for
> every licence, and expand them to encompass more licences if necessary, then
> allow such inconsistent behaviour.

Having the full text of the licences available in the distribution seems
like a good idea, though. How about making it so that 'make dist'/'Build
dist' creates the files with appropriate contents if they don't exist,
and throws an error if they do but with the wrong contents? Then a
version of Software::Licence with the correct licence in is only needed
on the developer machine.

Ben