2009/5/6 Jonathan Yu <jonathan.i...@gmail.com>:
> The real question at hand here is: for modules that provide both a
> Makefile.PL and Build.PL, which should be preferred? More than that,
> from the perspective of CPAN authors, is it even useful to provide
> both? Now that Module::Build is a core module, maybe only a Build.PL
> should be included.

When both Makefile.PL and Build.PL exist, you should ALWAYS run the
Module::Build installation process ( perl Build.PL; perl Build; perl
Build test; and so on...) and ignore Makefile.PL.

The few old legacy modules with the pass-through Module::Install
Build.PL can safely be ignored. I hope soon to start chasing them down
and ensure they are all upgraded.

Adam K