On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 12:13:05AM +0200, Burak G?rsoy wrote:

> I see that some modules have git:// protocol as the repo address in META.yml
> and/or Pod. I don't think this is useful to anybody since we don't see the
> address at all in cpan shell and hardly anyone downloads and checks every
> file to locate a repo. The main way to interact with such an address is the
> search.cpan.org site (or perldoc command if it's in Pod) and IMHO repo
> addresses must be http(s):// to become clickable to ease accessibility unless
> the repo somehow does not support http access. I think that *maybe* M::B and
> any other builder can also warn if the repo is not /^http/?
>
> So, what do you think?

I think that non-http(s) URLs are perfectly legal (eg ftp://) and are
Just Fine in META.yml.  It's the end-user's responsibility to have
software that can talk the necessary protocol if he wishes to access
that resource.

If I care enough about a distribution to want to look at the git or cvs
repo, then I care enough to not just look at search.cpan.

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
    -- attributed by Plato to Socrates