 >> None of the above is a reason to tell people to drop a test. While I
 >> don't know what the bug is that the OP asked about it is no solution to
 >> suggest dropping a test. Next time you suggest to drop all tests, right?
 >> Oh, yes, maybe this is the solution to all testing problems.

  > Don't get so excited.  Reread what's being discussed.  This is a
  > "test" that's running a check of the SIGNATURE file.

I'm sorry, I always get excited when people are told to drop a valid,
interesting, and valuable test.

  > The signature test isn't really a test.  Its not testing that the code
  > does its job, its testing that it passes its signature.  Its not a
  > functionality test, its a security measure, and doesn't really belong
  > in the test suite.  At best its an author check of the integrity of
  > the distribution not to be distributed.

I can only disagree. It's certainly of value to know that integrity
checks work somewhere else and not only on author's home box before
packaging.

  > But even that's of low value,
  > because its just checking that a 3rd party tool did its job... but its
  > doing it wrong and creating a false bug.

I'm not sure if I can follow you here. False bugs need fixing just as
real bugs. If a test doesn't test what it wants to test it is worth
fixing.

  > Don't get dogmatic about testing.  Tests exist to catch bugs.

So shall it be.

  > If a
  > test isn't doing that then at best its dead weight.  At worst its a
  > false failure and a maintenance hassle.  You only have so much time to
  > spend working on tests, choose where you're going to spend it
  > wisely.

We're arguing on same ground: testing whether the signature can be
verified saves a lot of time in the case that somewhere else the
signature cannot be verified. It's good to catch such a bug better
sooner than later.

  > BTW Eric, I didn't notice that Module::Signature was complaining about
  > MYMETA.yml not being in the MANIFEST.  I puzzled out why its doing
  > that. Module::Signature appears to assume that anything in the
  > directory at the point of "build test" is going to be either A) in the
  > MANIFEST or B) refuted by the MANIFEST.SKIP.  Kind of a dodgy
  > assumption, given the build step throws files all over, but it totally
  > breaks down if you don't ship a MANIFEST.SKIP and your code is doing
  > something not expected by the default MANIFEST.SKIP... like making a
  > MYMETA.yml file.

Thank you for digging. I'm looking forward to the bug report that comes
out of it.

--
andreas