* On Sat, Feb 27 2010, Skriptke wrote:
> I did a similar question recently:
> http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.module-authors/2010/02/msg8235.html
>
> The conclusion: Add any library, etc.. to directory 'share'.  Use
> install_share 'share'; of Module::Install; to install this.  Then used
> File::sharedir to recover these files.

I don't think this is relevant to James' problem.  He seems to only want
files during testing, not after the module is installed.

In that case:

> Two questions related to the directory structure of a distribution
> intended for CPAN:
>
> 1.  What is the current best practice for including sample Perl 5
> programs intended to illustrate usage of the module?  What directory
> should they be placed in?

I put them in examples/.  Unfortunately, search.cpan doesn't make any
effort to advertise this, so you will have to do it yourself.  ("Take a
look at the examples in "examples/".)

> 2.  Is it possible to include another archive file in a CPAN
> distribution and not have it interfere with the normal operations of
> the distribution?

I have done this and have not seen any problems.  Tar is not recursive,
so you'll just have the tar.gz in the right place.  (Just make sure the
file isn't skipped in MANIFEST.SKIP; I usually have .tar.gz in mine.
"make manifest" and verify before "make dist", for maximum safety :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway