I've said nothing till now, because I figured more noise wouldn't help much.

But I quite like the rsync daemon/proxy idea, and as it so happens I'm
attending the OzLabs Unconference in 3 weeks time to hang out with
Tridge, Rusty and the other Australia C/Kernel/Samba/RSync elites.

So I'd be happy to raise any issues or ideas in this area with them in
person over beers.

Adam K