David Cantrell wrote:

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 08:09:35AM -0800, Linda W wrote:

Don't have to touch their code,... but if we want CPAN to be able to
be relied upon.. it's can't have unaddressed bugs for months (let alone a year or more)...

I promise to address bug reports quickly if you make them more important
than everything else in my life.

---
        If that's how unimportant CPAN is to you, then I'm sure you
will have no problem if someone takes over maintenance of the module.

        If it is a problem, maybe it will 'become more important to deal
with that than everything else in your life...

You can do that by paying me.

---
        Well, i certainly can't enforce this, but whoever sponsors CPAN,
if they want it to stay alive, ***IS*** paying you for the privilege of
putting your code on CPAN and have reserved some name.

        If you don't want to maintain your code on CPAN, then I would
say the default policy should be to no longer 'pay you', in the currency
you are receiving.

        Oh, you want more than permanent fame on CPAN (if your code is
good working), ... OTOH, if your code is doggie doodoo, and basically
a way to sucker people in to pay you to make it work, um...   don't
think that's what CPAN was designed to be....  but things do change...
and money corrupts everything...so who knows..

If you
don't pay me, then you are admitting that me settling down for the
evening with a beer and a good book is more important *to you* than me
fixing the bug or accepting your patch.

====
        You don't have to accept my patch into your code, but you
might consider that having code on CPAN is a privilege as well as a
responsibility.

        If you don't live up the the responsibility part, I think
it is fair that privileges be reduced or removed accordingly.

        Should be a problem for someone who ALWAYS has something more
important to do than CPAN.