On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Matthew Musgrove <mr.musk...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Joel,
> This is exactly what I looking for. I should have read the PostgreSQL
> specific docs for DBIx::ProcedureCall because I have only used it from
> Oracle. From what you have written here, I will want to use
> DBIx::Pg::CallFunction when finally get us ported from Oracle to PostgreSQL.

Glad to hear you find it useful!

FYI,

We will be moving from PostgreSQL 8.4 to 9.1 in about a month, and will use
this module in production to handle all incoming JSON-RPC requests to our
API.
The JSON-RPC request will be received by Perl, and Perl will call the
corresponding method in PostgreSQL and return the response in JSON.

This addon module, providing the JSON-RPC interface, using
DBIx::Pg::CallFunction, will also be open-sourced and made available on
CPAN (of course first on prepan).

[Javascript/JQuery from user browser OR merchant's system] ---JSON/RPC over
HTTPS--> JSON::RPC::Simple server (run in Apache or nginx or whatever) -->
DBIx::Pg::CallFunction --> PostgreSQL >=9.0

This makes it possible to simply deploy a new stored procedure, and then
the second later, without updating or restarting anything, use it in your
javascript front-end code or let your customers use it via your JSON-RPC
API. I.e., the same API is used by your front-end as by your customers
servers and their backend systems.