On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 11:39:00 +0100
Matthew Astley <m...@sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

> The Bus::I2C:: namespace seems safe.  Short, unambiguous, unlikely to
> have a legitimate claim from software.
>
> Under that you could put chip names like Bus::I2C::DS1307 [1] but I
> suspect software will fit better by function like Bus::I2C::EEPROM [2]
> since families of chips will naturally share code.

Hmm. I'm not sure I like "Bus" - the driver talks to just one device,
one chip. If it sits on a bus like I2C that's a different concern.

I wonder if simply

  Device::Chip::*

> The CPAN search for just I2C shows a few things,
>
>   https://metacpan.org/release/i2c  (i2c_{ser,lpt})
>   https://metacpan.org/pod/HiPi  (various under HiPi::*)
>   https://metacpan.org/pod/Device::LPS331AP
>   https://metacpan.org/pod/Device::Gyroscope::L3GD20
>   https://metacpan.org/pod/Device::SMBus
>   https://metacpan.org/pod/Device::WebIO::Device::I2CUser
>
> so it's probably too late to converge on one perfect naming scheme
> anyway.

Well there's at least some precedent for putting it under Device::, so
that's a start :)

> I don't see a way to avoid the usual problem with someone releasing
> Bus::I2C::EEPROM::Lite and Bus::I2C::EEPROM::Tiny after the first come
> module gets bloated out with obsolete parts.

Eh... That's a standard problem across the whole of CPAN. We usually
cope fairly well... :)

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leon...@leonerd.org.uk