Hello David,

The strategy that I've seen is to place all constants in their own module.
(With the many-to-many file-to-package relationship, this isn't a problem.)
Then I frankly can't imagine circular dependencies causing trouble. Of
course, if one fails, all others will fail too, but failure to compile is
BUG #0, and in my experience Perl's diagnostics usually pinpoint the
problem without any confusion.

Note: the module Carp::Always can be a lifesaver in the occasion that you
need a stack trace and don't have one!

The second strategy, if constants really are the source of pain, is to have
each module declare all of its constants first, then declare circular
dependencies. This way, by the time the compiler reaches any code that
needs a constant, all of them will be available.

I have no idea if my approach to circular dependencies is helpful.
Basically, I've never had problems, so I wonder if there's a design
approach you're using that's somehow more prone to this sort of problem
with Perl. Again, if you had some code to share, it would help direct the
conversation a bit more concretely.

---

As for your testing approach, I mostly agree, but work on a function-level
heierarchy, not module-level heierarchy. Some functions do not depend upon
others; those are the ones I test first. Other functions that call the ones
I've test come next, etc. I don't necessarily run these tests in strict
order (all 0-level functions before all 1-level functions), but I do make
sure to always test simple functions before testing dependent functions.

David