On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 10:03:24PM -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
> I'd be so much happier if I had unit tests, but it's tricky since
> everything's static.  My best idea is to have an #ifdef TESTING
> section in my code that has a main() in it that runs the tests (of
> course this means actually *understanding* the lovely makefile
> goodness I copied from Josh Rotenberg so I can produce a standalone
> runnable).  Anyone have a better idea?

Apart from the testing framework that someone else mentioned, it is
pretty common to tie debugging info from a module to the debug loglevel
rather than a #define.

> Until I figure out the above, I'm going to be debugging more than one
> would really want.  Back when I was writing modules for Apache 1.* I
> got things wired up so I could debug in Emacs... that still about the
> state of the art?  -Tim

Pretty much, unless you're lucky enough to be on solaris and have dtrace
where you could instrument httpd - along the lines of mod dtrace:
http://prefetch.net/projects/apache_modtrace/

vh

Mads Toftum
--