> I've tried it by using different files (ie .slo and .lo files), but I
 > get the same error.

You want to installthe '*.so' file from the '.libs' directory. But be
careful: that name depends on the platform.

Tried that, and no go.

 > Any ideas? I'd really rather not have apxs recompiling every single
 file each time.

Does your compilation really take _that_ long. Looks like a severe case
of premature Makefile optimization to me.

Not with just the two files I'm playing with, but in short order there will be something like 100 files in the module (this is a port of a plug-in from an old version of WebSTAR) and then it will certainly take a while :(
--

Farokh
MCF Software...simply dependably engineered