Ok.  Cool.  I'm seeing the subsequent calls.  For some reason, I didn't
think I was before.

O.k.  So, here's what I'm up to.  After the user is logged into a realm,
when Safari and Chrome, try to call via ajax the page with a new
user/password, but it seems apache is returning the previous authentication.
What I'm trying to figure out is if the new user/password is indeed being
sent.  If so, I want to force a new authentication, but only if the user is
logged in and the Require restrict user_name (particular user) is the user
specified.  I've already implemented the Require restrict.  Now, I'm going
to see if I can force reauthentication in this case.

As you may remember, I modified mod_auth_digest to authenticate against
mysql.

If this works then I can get Rest Based Authentication to work for Safari
and Chrome.  I probably won't work tonight, so hopefully I'll know by
tomorrow afternoon sometime.  Rest Based Aunthentication already works for
FF and IE.  If Firefox, IE, Chrome and Safari work, then a few more may,
too.

Opera can not be logged in to with Ajax as far as I can tell, so Opera is
out with this implementation, regretably.

I'm hoping this works as a viable htaccess security option, at least for me.

No one else seems to be interested other than the author of the webpage on
Rest Based Authentication.

Margaret Michele Waldman
Sovereign Sites L.L.C.
Website Development