There's a hook for processing your configuration and making any changes
(offhand, post-config?).  If any of this is done on a file or directory
level, you can do that in your configuration merge callbacks.  I have to
do something similar where a forwarding capability might be enabled, but
the location to forward is still null, etc.

Thanks,

Rick Houser
Auto-Owners Insurance
Systems Support