I have used notes to get useful access logging too.  Its a good technique.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: David Sklar <david.sk...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:10:20
To: <modules-dev@httpd.apache.org>
Subject: Re: error_log hook

True, but that's just access log, not error log. I need the additional
information (such as request headers) attached to the error log
messages, not the access log messages.

One other possibility I was considering was just to have my module, on
a per-request basis, append the error log messages passed into the
hook function to a note in the notes table (similar to how
ap_log_rerror works with the "error-note" note except that repeated
error log strings would append) and then use a CustomLog access log to
log the info I care about and the accumulated note. Doing it that way
wouldn't be the end of the world, but:
- it means that nothing gets written out until the log_transaction
phase, which could be problematic for error info during
broken/long-runing requests
- appending to a mostly-unbounded (I could set some crazy upper limit)
buffer is not the fastest thing in the world

David