Hi modules-dev-folks,

I've written a handful of modules for httpd. I'm now looking for a way to setup
some unit tests. We have continuous integration running, so I want to supply
some tests, starting from compiling against httpd to basic functionality to
more elaborate feature tests.

I wonder how to unit-test this, as the prerequsites are rather complicated. The
tests would have to setup a httpd, provide a config, compile and install the
modules. As you don't want to modify the modules themselves, you have to run a
bunch of requests and monitor expected output - maybe measuring coverage or
running valgrind on the way.

I see no way to run "real" unit tests as you would have to emulate httpd and
run your modules against it, as most of the code is httpd or at least highly
APR dependent. I see no point in emulating httpd as you would have to implement
every little detail - httpd specific behaviour (e.g. in version bumps) is one
important thing to test IMHO.

So, has anyone some experience with this, some suggestions, howtos or
tutorials? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Edgar