Hi,

While load-testing our module, I've noticed (via log statements) that child
processes get frequently shut down & restarted.  I'd like to figure out why.

I know that Apache can be configured to restart child processes
periodically based on number of requests served, but I don't believe that's
how I'm configured.

Can someone describe, or point me to doc describing, the set of conditions
that might cause Apache to terminate a child process & start a new one?  Is
there some directive I can put in my .conf file to make Apache print log
messages explaining why it shuts down a child process?

It's possible this is because a burst of requests causes Apache to spin up
child processes to handle them, but perhaps the load-test generation slows
down at some point, Apache winds up with idle processes, and closes some
down?  Is that plausible?

Thanks,
-Josh