Hi Alex,

On 09/11/2015 10:02 AM, Alex Bligh wrote:
mod_proxy_wstunnel forwards the websocket connection without
interpreting the protocol (i.e. needs to be directed at a websocket
server); my module (which just plugs into mod_websocket) forwards it
as a TCP port. EG for VNC over Websockets you'd just need to point my
module at port 5900, whereas with mod_websocket you'd need something
further to decode it.

Oh, neat! I assume there are specific protocol designs that can't be proxied over WebSocket? (For example, anything that requires the application-level use of a TCP half-close would presumably be iffy?) What are the sorts of protocols that work best with this setup?

At this point I want to avoid biting off more than I can chew -- I want to get the current code in order before absorbing more functionality -- but this is a really neat idea. I'll need to think about security corner cases with a generic TCP proxy setup too... more research needed.

Hopefully that makes sense -- any specific parts that still need
clarification?

Thanks. Yes that makes sense I think. I sort of more meant that it
would be useful in a README or something in the module itself, as I
had difficulty grasping it when I was writing the vncproxy stuff.

Gotcha. My latest commit adds a few explanatory comments to the two areas I mentioned; thanks for the feedback!

--Jacob