Manghi wrote:

>Have a look at apr_pool_cleanup_register.
>
>I don't have
pleasant memories with process pools. The problem is that
>sometimes apache
children take a long time to exit. When this happens
>then the parent sends
them signals in order to stop them, the signals
>becoming progressively
stronger (first sigterm, then sigkill if I
>remember correctly). I do not
remember the details, but I've been
>getting segfaults at process exit, so I'm
steering clear of process
>pools since.
>
>Have a look if the conf pool is
what you'd need. It is cleaned up every
>time the apache configuration is
reloaded (the parent apache process
>stays alive, the apache worker children
are stopped and a new generation
>of apache children is created). You can use
the second callback of the
>apr_pool_cleanup_register to clean up things in
the children.

>The difference between the conf pool and the process pool is
the
>following: the process pool is passed to the post_config and child_init

>callbacks. The conf pool is not passed to child_init. So, in order to

>initialise things in the conf_pool you'll need to set a callback in the

>post_config hook. The post_config hook is executed as root in the parent

>process, before it forks a new generation of children, every time the
>apache
configuration is reread (after each apache2ctl graceful). The
>child_init hook
is executed in the apache child every time the child
>process is created and
it executes without root privileges.

>Sorin

Thank you Sorin for the
answer, sorry I'm at a conference and I can't answer with my apache.org
identity. I don't think this message will get to the list unless someone will
be so kind and gentle to approve it after it has been moderated.

The problem
is that we have to implement a way to safely call 'exit' ourselves the way the
procedures clean_child_exit does from within the MPM module. These procedures
slightly differ between prefork and worker MPM and are private to the code of
the MPM, so does a public API exists for that?

clean_child_exit destroys the
pChild pool in the first place and this in turn runs our cleanup procedure (we
already have one set up) but it does other stuff that I imagine are vital for
the web server ecosistem.
'
 -- Massimo