That's a great benchmark, José.  A couple of questions:
1. When using http 1.1, is your connection over SSL?  I assume that your h2
connection is over ssl, and that might account for a speed penalty.
2. Have you tried this on other h2 implementations (h2o, nginx)?
3. Can you take some other data points?  If you just have 100 shards rather
than 1000, how does that affect the results?
4. Can you also vary the size of each shard?

Publishing your results in a more comprehensive study would be quite
valuable.

-Josh