 Von:   Sorin Manolache <sor...@gmail.com>
 An:   <modules-dev@httpd.apache.org>
 Gesendet:   12/21/2016 10:52 PM
 Betreff:   Re: Change the content-length header for other filters

On 2016-12-21 22:10, André Rothe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a filter, which changes the content length of a POST request.
> There are some key-value-pairs of the request, which the filter removes
> before other filters process the request.
>
> But after my filter completes the request processing, I'll get:
>
> Sending error response: The request contained fewer content data than
> specified by the content-length header
>
> I have tried to change the header key "Content-Length" and set the
> new value like:
>
> apr_table_set(f->r->headers_in, "Content-Length",
>     apr_psprintf(f->r->pool, "%ld", len));
>
> but it has no effect outside of my filter. The incoming request has a
> content length of 1107 bytes. I modify the bucket brigade and it
> contains at the end of my filter code only 1074 bytes (which is also
> stored into "len").
>
> What can I do to send the new content length along the filter chain?
>
> Thank you
> André

Hello,

Could you please give us more details about how the body of the post
request is read? Is it read in a third-party handler? Is is read by a
standard apache module such as mod_proxy? If it's a third-party handler,
do you happen to have the code?

Why I'm asking: because it may happen that the reader (i.e. the code
that triggers the chain of input filters) reads first the Content-Length
header and then attempts to read N bytes, where N is the value of the
Content-Length filter. In this case, it is no use to set Content-Length
in your filter because anyway the reader has read the value of the
Content-Length header before your filter had the opportunity to change it.

A well-behaved reader should read until it finds an EOS bucket in the
retrieved brigade. It should not rely on Content-Length. A trivial
example why it should not use Content-Length is request body
compression. A reader would get the brigade filtered by the INFLATE
filter of mod_deflate, which contains many more bytes than indicated by
Content-Length as this header contains the size of the compressed body.

Best regards,
Sorin