>said:

 > Greets.  Looking to register a namespace IO::Filesystem.
 > Name           DSLI  Description                                  Info
 > -------------  ----  -------------------------------------------- -----
 > IO::Filesystem cdpO  OO interface to a filesystem-like datasource DEUSX

 > Comments on this namespace or an alternate one for the above package would
 > be appreciated.  It's basically an abstract class presenting a set of
 > methods which roughly correspond to the set of standard operations
 > possible to a filesystem.

 > Sounds silly since we already have those as functions.  But, it becomes
 > useful, for instance, when one creates a subclass which implements a
 > simulated filesystem interface to a MySQL database.  And then you may
 > uses it in such beasts as an FTPd, or a set of commands like cp, ls, rm,
 > etal...  Because IO::Filesystem::* classes would all present the same
 > interface, one is free to swap out various implementations, yet use the
 > same set of tools/apps.

I see, you haven't yet uploaded such a thing, so it may be of interest
to you to know that a Filesys:: namespace already exists:

Filesys::
::AFS             cdcO AFS Distributed File System interface        NOG
::Df              Rdpr Disk free based on Filesys::Statvfs          IGUTHRIE
::DiskFree        adpO OS independant parser of the df command      ABARCLAY
::SamFS           adcf Interface to SamFS API                       LUPE
::Statvfs         Rdcf Interface to the statvfs() system call       IGUTHRIE
::dfent           adpf By-name interface                            TOMC
::mntent          adpf By-name interface                            TOMC
::statfs          adpf By-name interface                            TOMC

I for one would rather expect a filesystem emulation layer in the
Filesys namespace than in IO. Maybe Filesys::Perl or Filesys::Base or
even Filesys::IO would seem natural. But maybe that's just me. Either
way, feel free to upload, do not wait until the light gets green.

--
andreas