I'm working on an abstraction on top of a network link, which is
established by other means, the abstraction is only the "user" part
of the link, not the provider.

The provider can be a TCP socket, a UNIX socket, a pipe, or whatever
can safely send a reliable stream of data.

The user layer which I'm working on provides a "message" service, i.e.
it sends and receives message packets, a message being (length, payload).
It can compress and encrypt the payload.

Basically, a Net::MsgLink object is created with a file descriptor, on
which sysread() and syswrite() can be called, or an IO::Handle object
(on which the same sysread/syswrite can be used).

That's it.  A simple abstraction, but very reusable.

Raphael