Apache::AuthCookieDBI is a module that subclasses Apache::AuthCookie and is
designed to be directly used for authentication in a mod_perl server.

It is a ticket-issuing system that looks up username/passwords in a DBI
database using generic SQL and issues MD5-checksummed tickets valid for
a configurable time period.  Incoming requests with tickets are
checksummed and expire-time checked.

I would like to add the ability to use Basic Auth-like authentication cookies
(with the username/password in plaintext in the cookie itself), but I consider
the ticket-issuing capability more useful, and the ticket issuing part
is complete.

It is currently in production use at http://www.snapple.com/ and
seems to work pretty well.

If nobody objects to the name, I'll be uploading it to PAUSE soon.

--
Jacob Davies
Lead UNIX Engineer