Hi everyone,

The project hasn't died, it simply hasn't been updated.  I initially took
the Net::IRC  module which I was familiar with and have worked on and
rewrote the connection class to suit the AOL TOC Servers.  Therefore
although the readme states the module is beta, it has been taken from
Net::IRC which has gone through many revisions and bug fixes. And this
module itself hasn't seen many bugs. (I uploaded a working version)

I do not know how many people have downloaded the module and currently use
it,  but I do get correspondence lately quite a few times every other week
about the module, which seems to mean that people are using it and
working with it.

I have started putting together a perlTk front-end for it though I am not
satisfied with it or some of the components.

Anyway the module was put together for the TOC server, if your
module uses the real AIM protocol which I started coding but never
finished (TOC was the easy solution)  you can make another connection
class and integrate this into the module - which  I was intending to
do at some point, so you can choose which protocol to connect with.  I
don't know how much time you spent on you AIM module but I think it might
have been more productive if you would have followed the instructions on
CPAN concerning creating modules.

I really hate to come off sounding like a bitter ass but I'm insulted that
someone wants to take over a namespace because they went and started a
project before simply reading the instructions on cpan.org or checking for
its existence. This is of course regardless of the performance of the 2
modules.  Maybe I should have made the version 3.02 ;).  I didn't slap
something together.  I worked with modules that were already written and
tried to design a module that would be able to grow properly (ie the
different connection classes).

Cheers,
aryeh

DBD::Sybase is alpha software ... I still can't believe it.

------
Aryeh Goldsmith
Director of Interactive Programming
CheckMate Internet Strategies & Solutions
http://www.checkmate.net/