On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 11:07:23AM -0500, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Kurt D. Starsinic wrote:
>
> >     `Alzabo' doesn't explain what the software is for.  Wouldn't you
> > rather put it under, e.g., DbFramework::, or one of the other top-level
> > namespaces for databasey stuff?
>
> Well, its as much an app as a module.  What does Perl do?  How about Erwin
> (a commercial data modelling tool).
>
> Not that this is nearly as good as either of those yet.  But I'm sure you
> get the point.  The namespace matches the name of the app.

    Yes, I was suggesting that you change the namespace to
DbFramework::Alzabo or somesuch.

> Also, CPAN is
> not really intended as the primary distro mechanism, unlike my modules.
> In this case, I will still probably point people towards the Sourceforge
> site since it has docs online and such.
>
> I don't know how this type of thing is normally handled.  As I said, I
> don't know that it would even be appropriate to list it on the to page.

    The purpose of the modules list is to advertise software on CPAN.  It's
not much of an advertisement if it's not descriptive, or categorized with
similar software.  So, if you want to put Alzabo on CPAN, but you want people
to prefer picking it up from Sourceforge, then I recommend that you not
register it in the modules list.

    Having said all that, it's your call -- except for the part about
getting the name in the modules list; you _do_ have to convince people
before that will happen . . . .

    Peace,
* Kurt Starsinic ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ---------------- Senior Software Architect *
|    `. . . we are clearly living in a period of historical discontinuity   |
|     in which the structures of the past seem to have lost their power     |
|     to determine the future.' -- Pekka Tarjanne, ITU Director-General     |