Hi Johan,

In message "Help!" on modules.perl.org, you said:

> I hate to say that being a PAUSE/modules maintainer is becoming a
> task of more frustration than satisfaction. But that's the way I
> feel.

I feel your pain.  ;-}   I think some of your frustration may be
coming from a mismatch between your expectations and existing PAUSE
documentation.

Your expectations are sensible, I think, and I'd like to propose (or
maybe you've proposed but I haven't seen it?) that the documentation
be revised to match them.

> We all know that the current process of user and module registration
> is not as perfect as it could be, but for the time being I think it
> can work very well if we all try a little bit harder.

I see a lot of people trying pretty hard to faithfully follow the
documentation as it's currently worded.  If I were to ask for a
namespace registration today, I'd raise your frustration level more,
because I'd follow the docs.  I thought we weren't *supposed* to
upload until *after* we've registered...  ;-b

Finally, in message "Re: Help!", you said:
> I think this would be a good requirement anyway: only register
> modules that have been uploaded and successfully unpacked and
> indexex (see the recent email exchange with the search.perl.org
> people).

I think this is a good idea -- perhaps even have the unpacking and
indexing process trigger a default registration of some sort.

All of the above conflicts with the docs in the module list itself
though.  Referring to http://cpan.org/modules/00modlist.long.html:

Section "Playing Your Part" says:
> Instead upload your module, once registered, to the PAUSE site for
> forwarding on to CPAN.

This means register first, then upload.  If we want to instead follow
the policy direction you're trying to set, then this sentence should
probably be changed to say "Upload your module to PAUSE, allow it to
unpack and index, then if all is successful, send a DSLI registration
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]" Or something like that.

Section "2.5 Select a name for the module" says:
> If in any doubt ask for suggestions in comp.lang.perl.modules or
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If we want to reduce traffic on [EMAIL PROTECTED], then this sentence
should be changed to remove mention of the modules list.

> Send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] before you upload, so we can help you
> select a name.

This probably needs to say comp.lang.perl.modules instead.

There may be other places in the docs which would also need to be
changed -- these are just the ones I spotted.

Steve