Brian,

Thank you for your comment.

brian> the author of Win32::MIDI said he would include your API in his
brian> more general module.  i think the the best thing is that you
brian> work together with him to make one good module rather than two
brian> half-good modules. :)

Win32::MIDI and Win32::MIDI::API (Win32API::MIDI) has differnt job.
Win32::MIDI::API is a direct (one-to-one) interface with Microsoft
Windows MIDI API.  But Win32::MIDI provides higher level API.  The
current implementation has its own XS code.  High level API requres
less coding for most purpose.  But low level API is mandatory on some
situations.  Even Win32::MIDI can use Win32::MIDI::API instead of the
XS code.  We can see this kind of hierarchy on many Perl modules.

We are working to make two good modules:-)

>   rationale:
>
>     Win32::MIDI::API is a Perl extension for MS Windows 32bit MIDI API.
>     It supports almost all MS Windoews 32bit MIDI API, MIDI output,
>     input, and stream API. This is direct, one to one, mapping of each
>     API. In other words, it is a low level API. Win32::MIDI supports
>     some of MIDI API and it provides higher level API. I contacted with
>     the author of Win32::MIDI. Here is a note from him;
>     willing to (no, I'd be happy to =) re-write Win32::MIDI to use
>     Win32::MIDI::API as long as it can be compiled with Microsoft VC++
>     (that is, doesn't require any strange comiler / linker rom cygwin)
>     so that users of Activeperl can upgrade to it.
---------
Hiroo Hayashi