On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 07:47:15PM +0000, Tim Bunce wrote:
> Seems like a good fit for the new WebService:: category.
>
> But how does it relate to
> http://search.cpan.org/author/SAMV/Lingua-Translate-0.06/lib/Lingua/Translate.pm

I wasn't aware of that module.  Its purpose seems pretty similar to my
module (it uses the Babelfish service instead of the LEO one, which has
different pros and cons).  Then again, this raises the question why that
module is not in WebService? :)

I had a thought about modifying my code to be a backend to
Lingua::Translate, but the Lingua::Translate frontend seems to be
designed specifically for the two available backends, so my interface
(resp. the interface that is needed to provide the functionality I want)
doesn't fit in there very well right now.  In other words, the change
would require considerable changes in Lingua::Translate first.  As the
POD of Lingua::Translate states:

---
=head1 BUGS/TODO

[...]

Need to formalise and define the "Interface" that the back-end modules
adhere to.
---

Therefore, it seems to be reasonable to go with one of

* WebService::LEO <-- simplicity
* WebService::DictLEO <-- purpose visible in name
(* WebService::Dict::LEO) <-- w/ same implications as stated above

Joerg