  modid:       Net::Discovery
  DSLIP:       adpOp
  userid:      TSCANLAN (Tom Scanlan)
  chapterid:    5 (Networking_Devices_IPC)
  communities:
    comp.lang.perl.modules

  similar:

  rationale:

    Net::Discovery is a tool set for the discovery of network topology
    and the devices on the network. I haven't seen anything like this in
    CPAN, and have had a hard time finding any help in area of network
    discovery (on a budget).

    Net::Discovery consists of several modules that all fit into three
    categories: Network Container, Network Devices, and Detection
    Modules. The detection modules detect devices in an extensible
    fashion. Currently detection modules exist to find hosts via
    ehternet sniffing, traceroutes, or by manual entry, but any number
    of other detection modules can be created. These devices have an
    extensible set of attributes that are stored in a device object. In
    turn, the devices are stored in the network container. Queries about
    the devices or the connetivity between devices can then be run
    against the network object. Changes in the state of the network can
    also be monitored via these queries.

    I believe that Net:: is the right place for this set of modules,
    and the Discovery is a fitting description of what they do. If this
    isn't the right place or if you need more info so that we can find
    the right place, let me know.

    Tom Scanlan (cpan: TSCANLAN)

  enteredby:   TSCANLAN (Tom Scanlan)
  enteredon:   Fri Dec 27 20:20:18 2002 GMT

The resulting entry would be:

Net::
::Discovery       adpOp discovery of network hosts and topology      TSCANLAN

Thanks for registering,
The Pause Team

PS: The following links are only valid for module list maintainers:

https://pause.perl.org/pause/authenquery?ACTION=add_mod&USERID=03400000_8cef75eb5f061151&SUBMIT_pause99_add_mod_preview=1
Immediate (one click) registration:

https://pause.perl.org/pause/authenquery?ACTION=add_mod&USERID=03400000_8cef75eb5f061151&SUBMIT_pause99_add_mod_insertit=1