I've only just joined this list, but from what I read in the
archives, this is the right way to do it and this is the right place
to do it :)

I'm trying with all my might to build DateTime, which is XS based. I
have got MPW Shell going and the perl tool. I've managed to configure
stuff and I've even hacked some files to see what's going on (DEBUG
lines below).

Now I've finally worked out how to get it uto use MrC rather than the
CodeWarrior stuff that seems to be the default.

Only now I'm getting an error that compat.h can't be found. I figure
I need to change a path or two right? So I use Sherlock to find out
where the sneaky little file is. Only its nowhere! Have I missed
downloading something? Do I have some out-of-date distro (downloaded
it yesterday :)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Once I work all this out I'm
thinking of writing 'Building XS Modules for MacPerl for Dummies' --
aimed at non-C people. Basically saying 'Download this, type that'.

Cheers!
Rick Measham

directory
'Purple Haze:Applications (Mac OS 9):MacPerl :src:perl:ext:DateTime-0.07:'
buildprogram all
# DEBUG: dmake -n
# DEBUG:
# DEBUG: all
# DEBUG: makefile.mk
# 12:16:58 AM ----- Build of all.
# 12:16:58 AM ----- Analyzing dependencies.
# 12:16:59 AM ----- Executing build commands.
   echo > ProcessPL
   Set Echo 1
   perl -I:::macos:lib -I:::lib: :::lib:ExtUtils:xsubpp DateTime.xs > xstmp.c
# DEBUG: Reading typemap from :::::lib:ExtUtils:typemap
# DEBUG: Reading typemap from :::lib:ExtUtils:typemap
# DEBUG: Reading typemap from :::macos:lib:ExtUtils:typemap
# DEBUG: Reading typemap from :::macos:ext:Mac:typemap
   Rename -y xstmp.c :DateTime.c
   MrC -d MACOS_TRADITIONAL -sym on -d DEBUGGING -d
XS_VERSION=""0.07"" -d VERSION=""0.07"" -i :::macos: -i ::: -i :
-i :: -i include: -i include: -i "Purple Haze:Applications (Mac OS
9):MPW-GM:MPW::Interfaces&Libraries:Interfaces:CIncludes:" -includes
unix -w off -tb on :DateTime.c -o :Obj:DateTime.c.MrC.o
MrC C Compiler 4.1.0f1c1
Copyright (C) 1994-1999 by Apple Computer, Inc.

#include <compat.h>
                 ^
File ":::macos:config.h"; line 3310 #Fatal error: unable to open
input file ':compat.h'
### MPW Shell - Execution of all.makeout terminated.
### MPW Shell - Execution of buildprogram terminated.

            There are 10 kinds of people:
  those that understand binary, and those that don't.
  The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck
    is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners
"Write a wise proverb and your name will live forever."
   -- Anonymous