On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 04:53:03PM +0100, demerphq wrote:
> > >     Other module names I considered were Data::Streamer
> > >     Data::Dumper::Streamer and Data::Serialize and also preserving the
> > >     BFDump name. After discussions with various people from Perlmonks
> > >     the consensus was that Data::Stream was the preferred choice.
> >
> > A "Data::Stream" could be just about anything. Doesn't say what it does.
> >
> > Although "stream" is _how_ it does it, "dump" is what it actually does.
> > So it should have dump in the name along with stream.
> > I'd suggest:
> >
> > Data::StreamDump
>
> Well, I guess, although im unconvinced. It seems to me that Data::Stream by
> itself conveys serialization, which is all that dumping is. The fact that it
> suggests IO Streams is just a nice coincidental byproduct.
>
> I suppose Im also a little adverse to names like this just because of the
> wise guy factor "What, it takes a dump in a stream?" . Maybe that isnt a
> particularly relevent but still. (I encountered this already with BFDump and
> im a little keen to avoid it this time round. Names are important :-)

Yes, names are important, and so are established conventions.
Compare:
        http://search.cpan.org/search?query=dump&mode=dist
        http://search.cpan.org/search?query=stream&mode=dist

'dump' is much more consistently used to denote serialization
than 'stream'.

> Here are my personal criteria for a name for the module:
> 1. it avoids wise guy names.
> 2. its short enough that its not a PITA for -M usage.
> 3. its in the Data:: name space.
> 4. Id like it to denote that it streams (as in writes to a stream)
> 5. Id like it to denote that it serializes
> 6. Id like it to leave room so that it allows for formats other than perl.
>
> So I was thinking
>
> Data::Stream
>     for the current release,  with it being a wrapper into
>
>   Data::Stream::Perl
>   Data::Stream::XML
>   Data::Stream::YAML
>   Data::Stream::Binary
>
> or whatever once I have other versions.
>
> Anyway,  i'm interested to see if you still stand by your view or if you
> have alternate suggestions based on the above. Im not totally sold on
> Data::Stream, but so far its the best of what ive seen and heard.

I do stand by it. But life is too short to argue over it for long.

Tim.