With the improved spam filters in place, I've seen almost no spam
"applications" for quite a while.

The applications I still deny tend to be Perl users applying for a
PAUSE account because they think they need one or just want one,
without saying they intend to upload anything.

Even with my canned response text, these require more work than I want
to spend on them.  I also think they send a pointless "keep out"
message to people at the periphery of the community -- the very people
we want *more* involved if we want to keep Perl healthy and growing.

PAUSE ID's cost very little to provide.  I see no reason to deny
anyone's application as long as they seem human and mention Perl.

Unless I hear violent objection (accompanied with a volunteer to take
over registration responsibilities), this will be my approval policy
going forward.

After a trial period of this new policy, I expect to recommend we
switch to an entirely automated system with immediate approvals.  This
may have to wait pending PAUSE being a bit more hackable, but I think
is the right long-term approach for CPAN.

Regards,
David

--
David Golden <x...@xdg.me>