Hello Chris and everybody,

I’m following up on the discussion about Net::SAML2:
https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.modules/2017/02/msg97043.html
https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.modules/2017/03/msg97128.html

I’m interested in pushing updates and contributions to it as well, as the lack
of a working CPAN module for SAML2 is a blocker for the community. I’m adding
my name to the list of volunteers for (co)maintainership. My fork is at
https://github.com/alexrj/perl-Net-SAML2 and I’m AAR on CPAN.

In the above message, Chris said he was going to check with his company.
However, the code is already released under the Perl licenses, so there’s
nothing the company can block; we could even rename it to Net::SAML2new module
or whatever and continue on that. I’m not sure a company can claim ownership
over a CPAN namespace on PAUSE. It’s not copyright matter, and AFAIK there’s no
PAUSE policy about that. My suggestion to Chris and the PAUSE admins is to
consider Chris himself technically unresponsive (I know he is responsive, but
he’s not able to take actions because of his employer :)) and proceed with
opening maintainership to other people.

Please don’t get me wrong - I don’t really want to sound rude. I totally
appreciate the work Chris did on Net::SAML2 (without him we wouldn’t even have
it!). I’m suggesting a potential approach for *him* to escape the current
restrictions, and let the community work collaboratively on maintaining an
important module.

Cheers,

- Alessandro