Hi,

I noticed on CPAN that module Geo::Gpx (https://metacpan.org/pod/Geo::Gpx)
is looking for a new maintainer. I would be glad to help and can offer to
look after it.  I have been using that very useful module for years to
manage my Gpx files after my bike rides and want to ensure it lives on.

I created a repo on Github here (https://github.com/patjoly/geo-gpx) where
I tweaked it by adding a class (Geo::Gpx::Point) to store and provide
methods for the 'points' array of Geo::Gpx instances. The structure of the
hash for the point is the same, it's just that it is blessed into that
class so that Gpx points now know what they can do. There aren't that many
methods so far but I intend to build more similar to the ones I have for
Garmin trackpoints another module I have on github (see
https://github.com/patjoly/garmin-tcx).

I just made Garmin::TCX public today to give you a glimpse of where I am
coming from but it's not ready for prime time. In that repo, I have a class
called Garmin::TCX::Trackpoints similar to Geo::Gpx::Points where I do
distance calculation by leveraging Geo::Calc to find points closest to a
point on track, split a track based on distance from a point, etc. I would
like to use more of these methods for Geo::Gxp::Point and possibly
Geo::GPX. I also provide methods to convert points from TCX to GPX (and
vice-versa with the 'with-tcx' branch of ::Gpx)

I plan on renaming that Garmin module to Geo::TCX and propose it for CPAN
so it could live happily along side Geo::Gpx.

Now, a bit about me. I am *not* a developer, my background is in economics
and stats and I just happen to code for the fun of it, personal projects,
etc. I have never posted anything on CPAN but there are enough resources
out there that I can surely figure out how to do that.

So what I am saying is I want to help, but I am not a professional. I was
until this point happy to just fork the module but if it's no longer being
maintained.... Caveating this because I do not want to give the impression
that I master the ins and outs of Geo::Gpx, I don't, but as I am debugging
it to modify it to my liking, I am growing a functional grasp of how it
works and parse the xml in chunks, descends into the xml to parse tags as
they appear, etc. That said, even though I am just a hobbyist, I have been
using and creating modules/classes on and off in perl for 20 years, have
experience in python, R as well.

Happy to hear your thoughts/reaction.

Cheers,

Patrick